Final Examinations at the end of each fall and spring full semester may be given in any course. All such final examinations must be scheduled during the designated final exam period on the academic calendar and given at the time scheduled.
No announced oral or written test/exam may be given during the last five days of classes preceding the designated final examination period. The following are exceptions:
- Practical examinations covering laboratory work may be given during the last five days of classes preceding the designated final exam period.
- In courses of a modular nature with several instructors, the instructor of the final module may schedule a final exam during the last five days of classes preceding the designated final exam period. Approval must first be obtained from the college dean.
Priority of Final Examinations and Scheduling Conflicts
Students scheduled for three final exams on the same day during the designated final exam period may choose to take only two final exams on the same day. The final exam scheduled in the middle (second) will be rescheduled. The instructor, in consultation with the student, will schedule a makeup final exam.
Students enrolled in a Term 2 or Term 4 course that conflicts with a final exam scheduled during the designated final exam period, the final exam has priority.
Two final exams scheduled at the same time during the designated final exam period should not occur. But, if such a conflict occurs the following priorities are applicable:
- Final exams in courses required by the students major have priority.
- If neither final exam is for a course required by the students major, the student works with both instructors to determine which final exam is rescheduled.
- If an online and in-person final exam are scheduled at the same time, the in-person final exam has priority.
- If a conflict between campuses occurs, the final exam scheduled on the campus of the students major has priority.
Weekly Common Exam Hours
Weekly common exam hours are designated by the University as “free” hours, which are reserved for convocations or common exams for multi-section courses. Normally, classes and labs are not scheduled during these hours. The Registrar may allow some exceptions to this policy; however, any classes or labs scheduled during these hours must excuse without penalty all students whose attendance is also required for common exams.
Designated Weekly Common Exam Hours:
Tuesday - 12:40pm to 2:00pm
Thursday - 12:40pm to 2:00pm and 7:10pm to 9:00pm
Weekly common exam hours are not applicable to the College of Professional Studies (Manchester & Online divisions).