General Special Education and Elementary Education (Teacher Certification)
This Post-Baccalaureate Program is for candidates interested in pursuing teacher certification. The Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Certification program is designed for 21st Century Educators, providing an in-depth focus on the critical issues that are transforming the landscape of education - innovation, critical thinking, problem solving and collaboration.
Minimum GPA requirement of 3.0
|Major in GSE & EE 1|
|Introductory Level Education Courses|
|EDC 800||Introduction to Field Experience/Program Requirements||1|
|EDC 801||Special Education Law||4|
|EDC 803||The Dynamic Role of the Special Educator||4|
|EDC 816||Students with Disabilities||4|
|EDC 817||Managing Student Behavior||4|
|Intermediate Level Education Courses|
|EDC 818||Transition Planning and Developing IEPs||2|
|EDC 819||Using Technology to Teach Social Studies||4|
|EDC 821||Assessment of Students with Disabilities||4|
|EDC 822||Strategies for Teaching Science||4|
|Advanced Level Education Courses|
|EDC 823||Teaching Language Arts and Literacy||6|
|EDC 824||Elementary School Mathematics Methods||4|
|EDC 885||Culminating Teaching Experience and Seminar||4|
A minimum grade of B- is required in all Major coursework.
State Certification Requirements
The following requirements must be completed in order to be recommended to the state for Teacher Certification.
Candidates who qualify for K-8 certification must also complete Praxis II- Middle School Content Exam.
- Praxis Core Academic Skills For Educators Exam required. Passing Praxis Core Exam scores, NH DOE waiver or current NH teaching certification must be submitted prior to completion of EDC 800 Introduction to Field Experience/Program Requirements to continue with clinical courses.
- Praxis II-Elementary Education Multiple Subject Exam required. Students must attempt to pass a Praxis II exam prior to taking the Culminating Teaching Experience & Seminar. Passing exam scores are required for state certification. Candidates who qualify for K-8 certification must also complete Praxis II- Middle School Content Exam.
Pearson Foundations of Reading Exam required. Students must attempt to pass Pearson Foundations of Reading Exam prior to taking the Culminating Teaching Experience & Seminar. Passing exam scores are required for state certification.
This degree plan is a sample and does not reflect the impact of transfer credit or current course offerings. UNH CPS Online students should develop individual academic plans with their academic advisor during their first semester at UNH.
Sample Course Sequence
|EDC 800||Introduction to Field Experience/Program Requirements Nonclinical; Complete CHRC Process||1|
|EDC 803||The Dynamic Role of the Special Educator Clinical A||4|
|EDC 817||Managing Student Behavior Clinical A||4|
|EDC 816||Students with Disabilities Nonclinical||4|
|EDC 801||Special Education Law Nonclinical||4|
|EDC 819||Using Technology to Teach Social Studies Clinical A||4|
|EDC 822||Strategies for Teaching Science Clinical A||4|
|EDC 821||Assessment of Students with Disabilities Clinical B||4|
|EDC 823||Teaching Language Arts and Literacy Clinical A||6|
|EDC 818||Transition Planning and Developing IEPs Clinical B||2|
|EDC 824||Elementary School Mathematics Methods Clinical A||4|
|EDC 885||Culminating Teaching Experience and Seminar Clinical A||4|
Note: Only 1 Clinical A course allowed per term
- Be reflective and knowledgeable about learners and are able to employ instructional methods, strategies and technologies to meet the needs of all students;
- Have a rich understanding of the subject/s that they teach;
- Employ best practices in the planning, delivery and assessment of instruction to improve learning achievement of Pre-K-12 students.