Life Sciences, Grades 7-12 (Teacher Certification)
This Post-Baccalaureate Program is for candidates interested in pursuing teacher certification. The Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Certification program is designed for 21st Century Educators, providing an in-depth focus on the critical issues that are transforming the landscape of education - innovation, critical thinking, problem solving, and collaboration.
Minimum GPA requirement of 3.0
|Major in Life Sciences - Post Bac 1|
|Introductory Level Education Courses|
|EDC 845||Natural Selection and Evolution||3|
|EDC 846||Life Sciences Across the Curriculum||3|
|EDC 847A||Introductory Field Experiences||1|
|EDC 847B||Introductory Field Experiences||1|
|EDC 847C||Introductory Field Experiences||1|
|EDC 847D||Introductory Field Experiences||1|
|Intermediate Level Education Courses|
|EDC 848||Structure and Function in Life Sciences||3|
|EDC 849||Matter and Energy in Organisms and Ecosystems||3|
|EDC 850||Teaching Life Sciences: Ecosystems-Interdependent Relationships||3|
|EDC 851A||Intermediate Field Experiences||1|
|EDC 851B||Intermediate Field Experiences||1|
|EDC 851C||Intermediate Field Experiences||1|
|EDC 851D||Intermediate Field Experiences||1|
|Advanced Level Education Courses|
|EDC 852||Teaching Life Sciences: Genetics-Inheritance and Variation of Traits||3|
|EDC 853||Math Across the Life Sciences||3|
|EDC 854A||Advanced Field Experiences||1|
|EDC 854B||Advanced Field Experiences||1|
|EDC 854C||Advanced Field Experiences||1|
|EDC 854D||Advanced Field Experiences||1|
|EDC 855||Culminating Experience for Life Science||2|
A minimum grade of B- is required in all Major coursework.
State Certification Requirements
The following requirements must be completed in order to be recommended to the state for Teacher Certification.
- Praxis Core Academic Skills For Educators Exam required. Passing Praxis Core Exam scores, NH DOE waiver or current NH teaching certification must be submitted prior to completion of EDC 800 Introduction to Field Experience/Program Requirements to continue with clinical courses.
- Praxis II-Biology: Content Knowledge Exam required. Students must attempt to pass Praxis II exam prior to taking the Culminating Teaching Experience & Seminar. Passing exam scores are required for state certification.
This degree plan is a sample and does not reflect the impact of transfer credit or current course offerings. UNH CPS Online students should develop individual academic plans with their academic advisor during their first semester at UNH.
Sample Course Sequence
|EDC 845||Natural Selection and Evolution Nonclinical||3|
|EDC 846||Life Sciences Across the Curriculum Nonclinical||3|
|EDC 847A||Introductory Field Experiences Clinical A||1|
|EDC 847B||Introductory Field Experiences Clinical A||1|
|EDC 847C||Introductory Field Experiences Clinical A||1|
|EDC 847D||Introductory Field Experiences Clinical A||1|
|EDC 848||Structure and Function in Life Sciences Nonclinical||3|
|EDC 849||Matter and Energy in Organisms and Ecosystems Nonclinical||3|
|EDC 850||Teaching Life Sciences: Ecosystems-Interdependent Relationships Nonclinical||3|
|EDC 851A||Intermediate Field Experiences Clinical A||1|
|EDC 851B||Intermediate Field Experiences Clinical A||1|
|EDC 851C||Intermediate Field Experiences Clinical A||1|
|EDC 851D||Intermediate Field Experiences Clinical A||1|
|EDC 852||Teaching Life Sciences: Genetics-Inheritance and Variation of Traits Nonclinical||3|
|EDC 853||Math Across the Life Sciences Nonclinical||3|
|EDC 854A||Advanced Field Experiences Clinical A||1|
|EDC 854B||Advanced Field Experiences Clinical A||1|
|EDC 854C||Advanced Field Experiences Clinical A||1|
|EDC 854D||Advanced Field Experiences Clinical A||1|
|EDC 855||Culminating Experience for Life Science Clinical A||2|
- Be reflective and knowledgeable about learners and are able to employ instructional methods, strategies, and technologies to meet the needs of all students;
- Have a rich understanding of the subject/s that they teach;
- Employ best practices in the planning, delivery, and assessment of instruction to improve learning achievement of Pre-K-12 students.