Academic and Support Services

The University offers programs and services to help every student get the most out of their college experience.

Advising Services

Every UNH student is assigned an academic advisor, who provides help in choosing courses and planning a program of study.

Career and Professional Success (CaPS)

With an uncommon commitment to personal and professional development, Career and Professional Success (CaPS) empowers all UNH students to proactively build the knowledge and skills they need to adapt and succeed in an ever-changing future. We are coaches, connectors, and champions for students and alumni in the Wildcat community. In partnership with faculty, staff, employers, and our global alumni network, we orchestrate opportunities for experiential learning, mentoring, networking, and personal growth, equipping students with the tools to thrive throughout their lives.

For more information about programs, services and opportunities, call (603) 862-2070, email, visit the CaPS website or follow @unhcaps on all major social media platforms.


Career and Professional Success supports students in locating pre-professional internships in settings ranging from traditional business and research facilities, to more uniquely tailored environments that reflect academic and career interests. Students who wish to engage in career-oriented work experiences for university credit should consult with an appropriate faculty sponsor in their department regarding established programs and the possibility of receiving academic credit. Many academic departments list internship opportunities and programs on the department website.

Additional paid and unpaid internship postings can be found through UNH’s job and internship board, Handshake.

For more information on internships at UNH, call (603) 862-2070 and/or visit the CaPS website.

Center for Academic Resources (CFAR)

The Center for Academic Resources (CFAR) offers a holistic approach to our academic-related services for undergraduate students. Our dedicated team of professional educational counselors and student academic mentors are committed to enhancing students’ educational experience and academic success. We coach students on how to study smarter in their classes focusing on note taking and reading strategies, exam preparation and taking skills, approaches to problem-solving and language learning, organizational skills, time management, and ability to access and utilize online portals. Using an individualized approach, we bring our valuable academic experiences and specialized training to our student meetings. Services are easy to access through our drop-in hours, Monday through Thursday from 11am to 3pm at Smith Hall 206. Students meet with an educational counselor to create a plan of action and then weekly with a peer academic mentor. Study tools and STEM resources can also be found on our website. For more information call (603) 862-3698, e-mail or visit the CFAR website.


The Challenging Ourselves in a New and Nurturing Environment by Coming Together (CONNECT) Program was founded in 1994 through a joint partnership with the Diversity Support Coalition (DSC), the late Dr. Roger M. Beattie (Special Assistant to the Vice Provost for Enrollment Management), and Dr. Judy Spiller (Assistant Vice Provost for Academic Support Services). It is designed to help students that have been historically excluded from higher education (People of Color, first-generation and/or high financial need) thrive in their transition to and through college.

All CONNECT students are matched with a Peer Mentor (based on college major) who works yearlong through the mentee's first year to support their academic, personal, and professional goals. CONNECT's primary goal is to support students throughout their time at UNH as they complete their undergraduate degree through providing academic support, social programs, and collaborations with key UNH resources.

The CONNECT Program office is located in Hood House, Room 132, 89 Main Street, Durham, NH. For more information email connect.program@unh, call 603-862-2221 or visit the CONNECT Program website.

TRIO Scholars - Student Support Services (SSS)

The TRIO Scholars (SSS) program is federally funded by the United States Department of Education to increase the retention and graduation rates of program participants. Students are eligible for TRIO Scholars (SSS) if neither parent or guardian has earned a bachelor’s degree, if their family income is within program guidelines, or if they have a documented disability.

TRIO Scholars (SSS) participants work with a TRIO Academic Coach to create individualized success plans focusing on academic development, financial literacy, personal development, and professional development to help translate personal goals into action. The TRIO Scholars (SSS) program also includes educational workshops, cultural events, leadership development opportunities, and access to free ongoing, comprehensive tutoring.

The TRIO Scholars (SSS) program is located on the second floor in Smith Hall. For more information visit the TRIO Scholars website.

*UNH TRIO Student Support Services is funded by the US Department of Education and the University of New Hampshire. In 2023-24 federal funding totaled $395,178, and the University of New Hampshire contributed additional funds. The project was funded to serve 200 students in 2023-24.

McNair Scholars Program

Congress established the Ronald E. McNair Post-Baccalaureate Achievement Program (otherwise referred to as the “McNair Scholars Program”) in 1986 to honor the memory of the Challenger astronaut and noted laser physicist. The McNair Scholars Program is a federally-funded TRIO program administered by the U.S. Department of Education. The McNair Scholars Program has been in existence at the University of New Hampshire since 1991. The mission of this program is to prepare talented, highly motivated UNH undergraduates for entrance to PhD programs in all fields of study. The program aims to promote and nurture the next generation of faculty, researchers, and scholars by providing academic and social support services in the form of academic year internships and summer research fellowships.

McNair Scholars are either first-generation college students with financial need or members of a group that are traditionally underrepresented in graduate education (e.g. Black, Hispanic, Native Hawaiian, Native American Pacific Islander, American Indian or Alaskan Native). McNair Scholars participate in unique programming and educational activities designed to give them a competitive edge when applying to graduate school and to prepare them for success in their pursuit of a Ph.D. degree. Scholars attend courses, seminars and workshops on topics related to graduate school preparation; complete a research project under the guidance of a faculty mentor; and have the opportunity to present their research at local, regional and national conferences.

The McNair Scholars Program office is located in Hood House, Room 203, 89 Main St., Durham, NH. For more information call 603-862-0088 or visit the McNair Scholars Program website.

Mathematics Center (MaC)

The Mathematics Center (MaC) provides drop-in tutoring and support for services for students in 400-level and some 500-level Math courses. The service is FREE to UNH students. Come in to work on your coursework and to ask our tutors questions about your course material. Drop-in tutoring is a great place to make new friends among your classmates and to form study groups. We also offer online tutoring via Zoom. For more information about the center visit the MaC website.

Honor Societies

The University of New Hampshire has a long and strong/valued tradition of recognizing outstanding student academic achievement through election to a variety of honor societies.  Some of these national societies recognize performance in any academic field while others are limited to specific disciplines.

Honor societies are most prevalent in colleges and universities. Based on varying criteria of high academic achievement and leadership, students are invited to join most commonly in their junior or senior year. Although initiated into the campus chapter, students become members of the national society for life.

Discipline Society Name, and Sash/Stole/Cord Color, UNH Contact information


Chi Alpha Sigma, Black and Gold Cord,


Kappa Kappa Psi, Blue and White Cord,

Biological Sciences

Phi Sigma, Yellow, Green and White Cord, Dr.


Beta Gamma Sigma, Gold and Blue Cord,


Golden Key, Blue and Gold Sash, TBA


Eta Sigma Phi, Gold and Purple Cord, Dr. and Dr.


Lambda Pi Eta, Red, White and Gold Cord, Professor

Computer Science

Upsilon Pi Epsilon, Maroon and White Cord Dr. Radim Bartos,


Omicron Delta Epsilon, Gold and Blue Cord, Dr.


Tau Beta Pi, Orange and White Cord, Dr.


UNH Society of Women Engineers, Green and Yellow Stole, Dr.


Sigma Tau Delta, Cardinal and Black Cord, Carla Cannizzaro,


Order of Omega, Gold and Ivory,

Health Pre-Profession

Alpha Epsilon Delta, Purple and Red Cord, Dr. Mary K. Lockwood,


Phi Alpha Theta, Red and Blue Cord,

Hospitality and Management

Eta Sigma Delta, Yellow,

Justice Studies

Alpha Phi Sigma, Blue and Gold, and

Liberal Arts

Phi Beta Kappa, Pink and Blue Cord, Dr.


Pi Mu Epsilon, Gold, Purple and Lilac Cord, Ellen O'Keefe,

Natural Resources

Xi Sigma Pi, Green and White Cord, Dr.


Sigma Theta Tau, Orchid and White, and

Political Science

Pi Sigma Alpha, Red, White and Black Cord, Dr.


Psi Chi, Platinum and Dark Blue,

Social Work

Phi Alpha, Gold Cord,


Alpha Kappa Delta, Teal Cord,

International Students and Scholars

The Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) provides a wide range of services to international students, faculty, staff and exchange scholars. These services begin before the international visitors arrive on campus and often continue past the completion of their programs. OISS services include: Preparation of eligibility documents for visa issuance along with pre-arrival instructions and information; Preparation of applications to U.S. immigration offices to secure appropriate work authorization for international faculty and staff; In-depth and engaging orientation programs for new students and scholars covering a variety of issues such as immigration rights and responsibilities, adjusting to life in another culture, working in the U.S., adapting to the U.S. educational system, area attractions and services, and much more; A variety of workshops and seminars covering topics such as immigration and employment and career orientation seminars; Programming and events such as, international student and scholar lunches, presentation series, graduation receptions, trips, and much more.

All international students are encouraged to maintain contact with the OISS and are required by law to report changes of address, academic program, or source of educational funds.

OISS also serves as a key liaison between international students, faculty and staff and various other UNH offices and departments. For more information visit the website or call (603) 862-1288.

Military & Veteran Services

The mission of the Military & Veteran Services Office is to provide the highest quality service and support to Student Veterans, Service Members, and other military-affiliated students such as dependents, as outlined in the Veteran Administration's Principles of Excellence and 8 Keys of Success. Furthermore, we strive every day to ensure that we exceed the University's inclusivity standards as laid out by the University Commission on Community, Equity, and Diversity.

We subscribe to and follow PL 113-146 Section 702, The Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability ACT of 2014.

For more information, please contact the following offices or visit the Military & Veteran Services website.

Psychological and Counseling Services

Psychological and Counseling Services (PACS) is the primary mental health facility on campus. We are fully funded by student fees. Our confidential services are designed to help students who are enrolled in full-time study to achieve their personal and academic goals. PACS utilizes a brief, solution-focused counseling model. We provide individual and group therapy, workshops, peer support, and consultation with a psychiatrist. We offer crisis counseling, during business hours, and after hours, through ProtoCall. Students needing more intensive or longer term service are offered referrals to other university and community agencies.

We also aim to serve the community while being part of the community. As community members with specialized training in working with the university population, we are knowledgeable about the special needs of students, faculty, and staff. A large part of our community work focuses on prevention; we believe that increased awareness of healthy ways to cope with stress can help the UNH community and its individual members achieve their professional and personal goals.

All information about a student's visits to PACS is confidential and cannot be released without the written permission of the student. The University of New Hampshire Psychological and Counseling Services has been accredited by the International Association of Counseling Services since 1978.

For more information, call (603) 862-2090 or visit the PACS website.

Student Accessibility Services

Student Accessibility Services (SAS) is committed to establishing a community that ensures full participation for students with disabilities by providing assistance that facilitates independence and academic progress. The office is responsible for determining a range of student supports, including but not limited to academic, housing and dining accommodations. In addition, we are a source of information and referral; a resource and collaborative partner for the campus community; and a point of support and advocacy regarding access issues in general.

All accommodation requests are considered through an interactive accommodations process. This consists of three important steps: (1) register with SAS, (2) submit documentation, and (3) meet with SAS. To learn more about our documentation requirements for both general and housing-only requests, please see our Documentation Guidelines pages on our website. There is no deadline to make contact, complete an intake, or provide documentation, but accommodations cannot be applied retroactively so timeliness of the request is important. Accommodations can also be reconsidered at any time. Should a student have the need to change their accommodations, students should contact SAS to discuss the request.

If you would like to request accommodations or would like to learn more about the services offered within SAS, please contact: For more information call (603) 862-2607 (voice), 711 (TTY) or 800-735-2964 (Relay NH); (603) 862-4043 (fax); e-mail; or visit the SAS website. Student Accessibility Services is located in Smith Hall, Room 227.

General Information for Students with Disabilities

Students seeking academic or housing accommodations, services, and accessibility should contact Student Accessibility Services (SAS): voice (603) 862-2607; TTY Users: 711 or 800-735-2964 (Relay NH); e-mail

Students with disabilities who need accessible UNH housing should contact SAS as early as possible to allow for identification of appropriate accommodation(s) and notification from SAS to Housing. Please visit Accessibility & Disability Accommodations, Housing & Residential Life to learn more including information about priority housing deadlines.

For information about dietary restrictions, visit Nutrition, Dining. The UNH Hospitality Service Dietician can help students navigate the dining options and support access to inclusive services.

Most major buildings have ramps and many have elevators and adapted restroom facilities. Contact the Civil Rights & Equity Office,(603) 862-2930, with questions about building facilities.

No otherwise qualified individual may be excluded from or denied access to any program, course of study, or any other offering of the University solely on the basis of a disability. Concerns regarding the institution's compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Amendments Act (ADAA) of 2008, or Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 should be addressed to the ADA/504 Compliance Officer in the Civil Rights & Equity Office at (603) 862-2930 (Voice/TTY).

University Advising Center

The University Advising Center provides academic advising to undeclared students in the College of Liberal Arts. The center's professional staff provides assistance to students in clarifying their interests and skills as they relate to developing a program of study at the University and declaring a major, offering opportunities to explore career possibilities.

The center is the primary academic advising resource for non-degree students and assists all students in identifying and connecting with other resources across campus.

For more information call (603) 862-2064 or visit the University Advising Center website.

University Writing Programs

The University Writing Programs (UWPs) were created to promote, support and assess writing at the University of New Hampshire. The UWPs are housed in Academic Affairs and report to the Senior Vice Provost for Academic Affairs. The UWPs are contained in a single unit that includes responsibility for the Writing Committee, Writing Across the Curriculum  (WAC), the Connors Writing Center (CWC), and the Online Writing Lab (OWL). The curricular component of WAC, consisting of the writing-intensive (WI) courses, is situated within academic departments.

We work with academic units, departments, allied programs, individual faculty, and students to advance the culture of writing at UNH.  This approach values and encourages writing as an "activity and subject of study,"1  not only in writing intensive (WI) classes but wherever writing occurs.  Through frequent guided practice, UNH students become accustomed to negotiating the writing process, are more self aware and able to transfer positive writing habits, and can adjust to differing genre conventions. We offer a wide array of services and resources to support students and faculty with their writing-based endeavors in the curriculum.

For more information call (603) 862-3272 or visit the writing program website.

1Adler-Kassner, Linda, and Elizabeth Wardle, Naming What We Know: Threshold Concepts of Writing Studies. Boulder: UP Colorado. 2015. 15. Print.

Connors Writing Center

The Connors Writing Center offers free, one-on-one writing conferences to currently-enrolled UNH students. We work with writers from all disciplines on many different kinds of writing, from analysis essays to lab reports, conference proposals to dissertations. Our conferences are not limited to one specific type of writing or a single academic field—we collaborate with writers from across the university on a large range of writing. Typically, the writers who visit are working on projects for courses. But we also see writers who are working on personal projects, statements of purpose and personal statements for graduate school, and so on.

Our 25- or 50-minute conferences are conducted by trained writing assistants, who are UNH undergraduate and graduate students.

For more information about resources and services available call (603) 862-3272 or visit the Connors Writing Center website.