UNH Durham Campus Degree Programs

UNH welcomes campus visitors year-round. In-person campus tours are led by student admissions representatives who provide a general overview of academic programs and campus life opportunities. Professional admissions staff are available to provide information about the criteria used by the admissions committee in reviewing candidates and to address specific concerns. For further information or to schedule a campus and/or group information session, visit the Admissions website at Prior registration is recommended for all in-person visits and students are limited to two guests. More information and requirements regarding the application process to UNH can be found on the following website

Admission Criteria

Admission to a bachelor's degree program is based upon successful completion of a strong secondary school program of college preparatory coursework. Primary consideration is given to the academic record, as demonstrated by the quality of the candidate's secondary school course selections, achievement in their secondary school courses and recommendation. Consideration is also given to character, initiative, leadership, and special talents. In fall 2020, UNH adopted a test-optional policy.  Applicants are not be required to submit their SAT and/or ACT test scores for consideration as part of their admissions application. Due to COVID-19, NCAA Eligibility Center also implemented the test-optional policy to students recruited by our intercollegiate athletic programs.

Applicants for admission must, at a minimum, present at least four years of English, three years of mathematics (algebra I, geometry, and algebra II), two years of laboratory sciences (3 years preferred), two years of history or social science, two years of a single world language is preferred and 2 additional full-year college preparatory courses to total 15 units. Some programs may have additional requirements for admission.

Students who plan to pursue a major in engineering, biological/physical sciences, mathematics, or forestry should present at least four years of mathematics including trigonometry, as well as laboratory coursework in chemistry and/or physics. Note that students are required to have a math and laboratory science in their senior year to be competitive for admission to a major in our College of Engineering & Physical Sciences and College of Life Sciences & Agriculture. Students pursuing business-related studies should complete four years of mathematics through their senior year, including trigonometry. For students planning to major in health-related disciplines, four years of math, as well as laboratory courses in biology and chemistry, are strongly recommended. Students interested in nursing must complete high school chemistry.

Applicants may indicate their first and second choice majors on the application for admission. An undecided applicant may apply for admission into a bachelor's program as an "undeclared" student to any one of the University's five college divisions in Durham or at UNH Manchester. For information concerning bachelor and associate degree programs offered through UNH Manchester, visit; for information concerning the associate degree programs at the Thompson School of Applied Science, visit

UNH students may request a change in major during their undergraduate years.  While most are approved, some majors are more restrictive than others and require the completion of specific coursework and an additional application. Change of major requests are considered after a student has been at the University for at least one semester and has permission from the appropriate college dean and department chairperson.

Admission Test Requirements

Beginning fall 2020, first-year applicants have the option to submit SAT or ACT scores to be considered as a part of their admission application. Applicants are not required to submit SAT or ACT scores as part of the admissions application process at the University of New Hampshire. When submitting the admissions application, you will be asked “Would you like us to consider your standardized test scores in the admissions decision?” Please note, that once an admissions decision has been made on your application, you may not change your test score preference. 

*If you enroll as a member of UNH's Class of 2027, you may be asked to submit your test scores after the May 1 deposit deadline for university research purposes only.

International students whose primary language is not English must provide evidence of English proficiency by submitting the results of a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), IELTS or Duolingo. The recommended minimum TOEFL score is 213 (computer version) or 550 (paper version) or 80 (Internet version). UNH also accepts the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) English Language proficiency examination in lieu of TOEFL; the minimum acceptable proficiency grade is 6.5; recommended Duolingo score is 105 or higher. International students who earn a 500 or higher on their ERBW (Evidence-Based Reading and Writing) section of the SAT will be waived the English proficiency test requirement.

Music Candidates

Candidates applying for programs in the Department of Music must make arrangements with the department chairperson for an audition. Details regarding audition requirements may be obtained from the department, or may be found on the Department of Music website at

Admission Deadlines

The Office of Admissions welcomes high school students who are interested in being considered for admission to UNH as a first-year student in the fall to apply any time after August 1 at the start of their senior year.  The application deadline for Early Action is November 15 and Regular Decision is February 1. Early Action applicants will receive an admissions decision prior to the end of January and Regular Decision applicants will receive an admissions decision prior to the end of March. 

Students admitted to UNH are required to confirm their intention to enroll by submitting their enrollment deposit of $600 by May 1, National College Decision Day. The $600 enrollment deposit includes both the enrollment and housing fees. Undergraduate first-year and transfer students under the age of 21 are required to live on campus during their first two years. 

The review of first-year candidates begins in November for those applications that are complete. A complete application includes official transcript or grade reports through the end of junior year and a confirmed senior course schedule, the results of the SAT or ACT (for students who indicate on their admissions application that they would like have their test scores included in the application review process), and a letter of recommendation. To apply as an Early Action applicant, candidates must submit and select the Early Action option on their admissions application by November 15. In some cases, the admission committee will request senior mid-year grade reports in order to make a final admission decision. Students accepted to UNH through the Early Action program are not obligated to enroll at UNH and have until May 1 to submit their enrollment deposit to reserve their space at UNH.

All offers of admission are considered conditional and are subject to the verification of satisfactory senior year achievement when final high school transcripts with a confirmed date of graduation are reviewed by the admissions committee.

Deferred Admission

Admitted students to the University may request to defer their admission for up to a year. Requests to defer admission enables students to reserve their space at the University while taking a semester or an academic year away from school for work or travel. With few exceptions, UNH will not approve deferral requests in which the student will be taking college coursework elsewhere. Requests for deferrals must be completed and submitted online using the form found on the admitted student website under the Deferral Information accordion on the bottom on of the page. The University may not be able to offer deferred admission in certain program areas.

Advanced Standing

The University recognizes outstanding secondary school work by means of advanced placement and credit for those who have taken enriched or accelerated courses before entering college. Applicants may qualify for such credit by successfully completing coursework for college credit and satisfactory achievement on University-approved placement examinations, including the College Board Advanced Placement (AP) Tests, International Baccalaureate (IB) Higher Level Examination Test Results, or through the College Level Examination Program (CLEP). Students should have official results sent directly to the Office of Admissions from the testing agency.

The University accepts AP Tests in many subject areas, with credit and course equivalency based on the score achieved. Visit for further information.

The University awards 8 semester credits for each IB Higher Level Examination Test Result of 5, 6, or 7. The University recognizes up to 32 semester credits of CLEP General Examination tests, which may be applied as elective credit only. Scores must be 500 or better in the humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences-history exams. The minimum score for mathematics is 500 and for the English exam with essay, 500. Subject exams, when applicable, may be used to satisfy either departmental or general education requirements. UNH does not accept all CLEP subject exams.

Maximum credit accepted toward a bachelor's degree for all credit by exam and advanced placement testing is 64 semester hours.

Associate Degree Candidacy

The University accepts candidates who have demonstrated ability and motivation for learning through academic achievement, work experience, and/or military service for associate in applied science degree programs.

Students may be considered for admission to associate in applied science degree programs offered by the University's Thompson School of Applied Science in Durham, as well as, associate in arts or science degrees at the Manchester campus. Candidates applying as high school seniors must submit the application and secondary school record. The submission of SAT and/or ACT exams are optional. Students granted first-year admission to the Thompson School are eligible to live in a University residence hall.

Eligibility for Degree Candidacy

Applicants may be candidates for any undergraduate degree offered by the University. However, applicants having a bachelor of arts (B.A.) degree will not be admitted into a program of study that awards the same degree (e.g., B.A. History and B.A. Zoology). Applicants can earn more than one bachelor of science (B.S.) degree, provided that each degree is in a different field. Applicants may also be admitted into a program awarding a different degree (e.g., B.A. History and B.S. Biology; or B.A. History and A.A.S. Applied Animal Science).


An undergraduate who withdraws, does not register for UNH coursework in a given semester, or is suspended or dismissed from the University thereby terminates degree candidacy and must apply for readmission by the following deadlines: fall semester, June 1; spring semester, November 1. Readmission applications are processed in the Office of Admissions; however, decisions regarding readmission are made in consultation with the Division of Student and Academic Services and the dean's office of the University college division to which the student is applying.

Before seeking readmission, students on academic suspension must remain away from school for at least one semester. Students suspended for academic reasons should include a statement about their readiness to resume University work with their application.

Only under extraordinary circumstances will students be readmitted after dismissal for academic reasons. Applications submitted by dismissed students are reviewed by the University's Academic Standards and Advising Committee.

It may not be possible for readmission applicants to enroll in programs with established enrollment limitations.

Transfer Students

UNH encourages applications from transfer students. Admission consideration includes review of course selection, academic achievement, and the extent to which that selection addresses the University's general education requirements. Transfer credit is awarded for completed courses taken at an institution that is fully accredited by one of the regional accrediting associations with a grade of C or better, provided those courses are comparable to courses offered at UNH. Each course must carry at least 3 semester credits and receive a letter grade to qualify for general education consideration.

The application deadline for fall semester admission is April 1; October 15 is the application deadline for spring semester. Some programs have enrollment limitations and may not be open to transfer students. Students enrolled in one of the University's associate degree programs who desire admission to a bachelor's degree program at UNH must apply as transfer students through the Office of Admissions.

Transfer students over the age of 21 may contact the Department of Housing at (603) 862-2120 to determine the availability of on-campus housing. Please note that on-campus housing is not guaranteed to transfer students over the age of 21.

New England Regional Student Program

The University participates in the New England Regional Student Program, in which each state college and university in New England offers certain undergraduate majors to students from other New England states. Under this program, admitted students from other New England states pay a reduced tuition rate. Students must indicate on their admissions application the specific major for which they are applying. Information about the curricula may be obtained from:

The New England Board of Higher Education
45 Temple Place
Boston, MA 02111, or (617) 357-9620. 

Visit for available UNH majors through this program.

Full-Time Special Student Status

UNH offers a special student classification for persons who wish to participate in University coursework on a full-time basis without entering a degree program. In evaluating requests for special full-time status, the Office of Admissions generally applies the same criteria used in the review of applicants for admission to degree candidacy. Full-time special students have full access to academic support services but are not eligible for University-based financial aid. Students must maintain satisfactory achievement to continue with University coursework. Full-time special (non-degree) students register for coursework through the Registrar's Office.

Resident Status

All students attending any division of UNH in any capacity shall be charged tuition at a rate to be determined by their primary, legal domicile. Those domiciled within the state of New Hampshire pay the in-state rate. Those domiciled elsewhere pay the out-of-state rate.

Students are classified as residents or nonresidents for tuition purposes at the time of admission to the University. The decisions, made by the Office of Admissions, are based upon information furnished in students' applications and any other relevant information.

All enrolling students living in New Hampshire are required to complete an electronic NH residency statement to the effect that they, if financially independent, or their parents/guardians, if financially dependent, have been legally domiciled in New Hampshire continuously for a period of at least twelve months immediately prior to registering for the term for which the student is claiming in-state status. The electronic NH residency form can be found as a required checklist item in their application portal after they submit their admissions application to UNH. Should you have issues accessing the NH residency form in your application portal, please contact the Office of Admissions via email at Students admitted from states other than New Hampshire or from foreign countries are considered nonresident throughout their attendance at the University unless they have acquired bona fide domicile in New Hampshire.

If students maintain residency apart from that of their parents/guardians, they must clearly establish that they are financially independent and that their residence in New Hampshire is for some purpose other than the temporary one of obtaining an education at the University. To qualify for in-state status, students must have been legally domiciled in New Hampshire continuously for a period of at least twelve months prior to registering for the term for which in-state status is claimed.

The burden of proof in all cases is upon the applicant. The University reserves the right to make the final decision concerning resident status for tuition purposes.

A copy of the rules governing residency may be obtained from the Office of Admissions and on the following website:

Manchester Campus Degree Programs

First Year Students

Individuals that have never enrolled at a college or university, or have earned less than 16 credits in college coursework.

Transfer Students

Individuals that have previously been enrolled at another college or university, or have earned more than 16 credits in college coursework.

Additional Resources

College of Professional Studies (CPS) - Online Division Degree Programs (UNH-Granite State College)

Applications to programs within CPS Online are free and reviewed on a rolling basis. Individuals can apply at any time and enroll in any term during the year. 

Admission Requirements

Admission to associate and bachelor’s degree programs require a high school diploma, homeschool equivalent, or GED.

Students who have earned college credit at another institution and would like it evaluated for transfer credit should complete the appropriate information on the application. Official transcripts are required for each college indicated. 

Some majors offered by CPS Online have additional admissions criteria. These programs include the RN to BSN, Allied Health Leadership, Applied Studies, and Fire Service Administration. See program pages for more information on specific admissions criteria.

Additional Resources

Degree Status

Inactivation and Withdrawal

CPS Online monitors the progress of degree candidates. A student who is not actively involved in learning experiences in a degree program for a period of three consecutive semesters (including summer) will be inactivated. A student may voluntarily withdraw from a degree program by notifying the College in writing. If requesting withdrawal from a degree program, a student will be considered inactive.


Students who have been inactivated for a period of less than one year will complete a Request for Reactivation Form with their Academic Advisor and will be readmitted under original degree requirements, following all policies and procedures in effect at the time of inactivation.

Students requesting readmission one year or more after the date of inactivation must submit a new application.

To protect the privacy of student data, CPS Online follows a record retention schedule and transcripts from other institutions are periodically destroyed in that process. Students who return after an extended absence may be asked to resubmit official transcripts from any previously attended institutions.

States occasionally change their rules and regulations regarding professional licensure and certifications, which may affect the College’s authorization in a state. Students in professional licensure or certification degree programs may not be eligible to return to active status if the College is no longer authorized to offer a program in their state.