Reserve Officer Training Corps Programs (ROTC)

Students attending the University of New Hampshire may enroll in the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps (AFROTC) or in the Army Reserve Officer Training Corps (AROTC) at the University.

The Army ROTC and Air Force ROTC offer programs leading to a commission as a second lieutenant in their respective services. Students in either ROTC program may pursue any University curriculum that leads to a baccalaureate or higher degree.

Two- and four-year programs are available. The four-year program is open to freshmen, sophomores, and transfer students. The two-year program is open to students who have at least two academic years remaining in their college/university degree program. In addition to on-campus course requirements, students must attend an officer-preparatory training session for a part of one summer.

ROTC scholarships are offered on a competitive basis by both the Army ROTC and Air Force ROTC. Entering freshmen may compete for four-year scholarships during their last year of high school. Additionally, incoming students may compete for scholarships while already in college if they meet specific ROTC requirements. Scholarships may pay up to full tuition, mandatory fees, and required textbooks for college courses. Incoming students with either a four-year or three-year ROTC scholarship may receive a full or partial room and board grant for the entire time they are on an ROTC scholarship. In addition, all scholarship recipients receive a tax-free monthly subsistence allowance. Non-scholarship students in the last two years of the ROTC program also receive the tax-free monthly subsistence allowance.

Both ROTC programs have administrative and medical requirements, which must be met to qualify for a scholarship and a commission.

More specific information about ROTC programs may be obtained by contacting Army ROTC at (603) 862-1078 or Air Force ROTC at (603) 862-1480.