Domestic Study Programs

National Student Exchange Program

The University offers many opportunities for exchange study with other institutions within the U.S. and U.S. territories. The National Student Exchange (NSE) program provides an educational experience at another member college or university, within North America. Participating students will develop new ways of viewing the country and culture, and expand their knowledge of our complex society.

Through the National Student Exchange, UNH students can study at one of more than 170 colleges and universities throughout the United States, U.S. territories (Guam, Puerto Rico, and U.S. Virgin Islands), and Canada. Several Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) are exchange members, as are Hispanic Serving Institutions (HSIs), Asian American Native American Pacific Island Serving Institutions (AANAPISI), and the Council of Public Liberal Arts Colleges (COPLAC). For a full list of participating campuses, visit  

To qualify for exchange study, students must be full-time undergraduate degree candidates in good standing, have a UNH grade-point average of 2.5 or higher, have earned at least 32 credits (16 of which must be from UNH at the baccalaureate level), have declared a major, and receive approval from the UNH NSE coordinator.

NSE participants pay their usual UNH tuition, and pay housing costs to the host campus if they utilize their housing.  Participation in an exchange program does not disrupt the continuity of a student's educational process. Exchange program participants continue to maintain their status as full-time, matriculated UNH students, even while temporarily located at another university. Students do not have to withdraw from UNH and later be readmitted. Maintaining UNH student status also facilitates reentry into classes, on-campus housing, and many other dimensions of UNH life.  Students return to UNH to complete their studies. 

Interested students should contact UNH Global Education, Conant Hall 310, (603) 862-3485,, or visit

New Hampshire Consortium (NHCUC) Student Exchange Program

Under the Student Exchange Program of the New Hampshire College and University Council (NHCUC), UNH students may be eligible to enroll for one course per semester, one full semester of courses, or a full year of coursework at a member school on a space-available basis. The NHCUC exchange allows matriculated undergraduates to use educational resources that are not available at the home campus and are considered appropriate for their degree programs. Approval of the UNH academic adviser and exchange coordinator is required, and students must meet all UNH Study Away eligibility standards. Institutions that participate in the NHCUC student exchange consortium include Colby-Sawyer College, Franklin Pierce University, Hellenic American University, New England College, Southern New Hampshire University, Rivier University, Saint Anselm College, UNH Durham, UNH College of Professional Studies, Keene State College, and Plymouth State University. Students will remain as degree candidates and continue to pay normal UNH tuition and fees, but must make their own room and board arrangements if they plan to spend a full semester at another consortium school. For more information and application, students should contact UNH Global Education, Conant Hall 310, (603) 862-3485.

New England Land-Grant Exchange Program

In order to provide students at the New England land-grant universities with expanded access to unique programs and faculty expertise, the institutions have agreed to encourage student exchanges of one, but not more than two, semesters. To qualify, students must identify a course or combination of courses related to their area of academic interest and not available on their home campus, be degree candidates in good standing with at least a 2.5 grade-point average, be at least first-semester sophomores, and receive permission from the appropriate university exchange authorities at both the home and host institutions. Interested students should contact Global Education, Conant Hall 310, (603) 862-3485. 

Semester in the City

UNH offers eligible undergraduate students the opportunity to spend a semester in Boston in a rigorous 30+ hour per week internship with a leading social change organization (nonprofit, business, or public sector).   Students are matched with internships in community development, social justice, health, education, environment, and other areas dedicated to the public good.  This 16-credit study away program includes an intensive evening course that examines the theory and practice of various social change approaches, and a series of Friday seminars and reflective workshops, thereby equipping a new generation of leaders who understand both direct and systemic approaches to social and environmental change. Participants pay their UNH tuition, and pay housing costs to the host organization if they utilize their housing.  

In order to apply, students should contact the UNH Changemaker Collaborative, 603.862.3697 or visit

The Washington Center for Internships & Academic Seminars 

Since 1976, UNH has affiliated with The Washington Center (TWC), to offer a rigorous full-time substantive internship and academic opportunities in Washington, D.C. Students enroll in 16-credits in fall or spring semester, or 12-credits in summer.  Students intern 32-35 hours per week, enroll in one upper-level evening seminar course, and participate in career-readiness workshops. There are countless internship and networking opportunities for all majors, including in law, government, media, public policy, international affairs, the environment, health care, law enforcement, and much more. Participants pay UNH tuition, and pay housing costs to The Washington Center, if they utilize their fully-furnished housing.

In order to apply, students must meet all UNH Study Away Eligibility Requirements including but not limited to being full-time undergraduate degree candidates in good standing with at least a 2.5 grade-point average (above 2.75 is strongly preferred). Interested students should contact the UNH Global Education, Conant Hall 310, (603) 862-3485 or visit