Communication Major: Business Applications Option (B.A.)
The Department of Communication in collaboration with the Department of Marketing and the Department of Management in the Peter T. Paul College of Business and Economics offers a business applications option for communication students. The objective of the business applications option is to offer a select group of communication students the opportunity to augment the liberal arts focus of their major with professional training in such areas as marketing, advertising, and organizational behavior. Qualified students who meet all requirements will graduate1 with a B.A. degree in Communication: Business Applications, an achievement which will be recorded on their official transcripts.
Minimum Requirements for Option Eligibility
1. Declared communication major.
2. Completion of CMN 455, CMN 456, and CMN 457 with a C or better.
3. Completion of at least one CMN 500-level course with a C- or better.
4. Maintain minimum in-major GPA of 2.5.
- Student enrollment in the Business Applications Option will be contingent upon space availability.
- Overall, total enrollment should not exceed twenty students in any given academic year.
Students admitted to the option must earn a minimum 2.5 cumulative grade point average in major courses at graduation or they will, by default, graduate with a BA in Communication without the special option designation on their diplomas.
Completion of all Communication major requirements.
Option Courses and Internship
|ADMN 400||Introduction to Business||4|
|Survey of Marketing|
|Introduction to Organizational Behavior|
|Topics in Marketing (Promotion and Advertising, Retail and Retail Management)|
|CMN 599||Internship 1||4|
Students undergo a business applications internship experience that must be completed in one semester. (Prerequisites: CMN 455, CMN 456, CMN 457)