Sexual Misconduct at Institutions of Higher Education

Important Disclosures

  1. Disclosure
    1. Students, faculty, and staff who personally experience sexual misconduct have the right to report the incident to law enforcement, the University, or both. Similarly, students, faculty, and employees who personally experience an incident of sexual misconduct are not legally required to disclose the incident to either law enforcement or the University. However, when the University becomes aware of such an incident, it may provide law enforcement with details about an incident under some circumstances if such disclosure is necessary to secure campus safety or required by University policy or state or federal law. In addition, certain individuals have an obligation to report incidents of sexual violence when they receive notice of such incidents as part of their work for the University. UNH mandatory reporters include all UNH staff, faculty, hall directors, coaches, resident assistants (RAs), community assistants (CAs), teaching assistants (TAs), research assistants, Graduate and Undergraduate Student Senate Executive Leaders (when conducting work for the Student Senate) and UNH Manchester Peer Assistant Leaders (PALs) and Mentor Ambassadors for Transfer Engagement (MATEs).
    2. The University provides various reporting options for students, faculty, and staff who experience sexual misconduct including a confidential resource advisor. When a student, faculty, or staff member reports experiencing sexual misconduct, the University will provide them with information regarding rights, resources, and options.
    3. Students, faculty, and staff have the right to obtain a court- or institution-issued protective order against a responding party of a reported incident of sexual misconduct as authorized by law and University policy.
    4. Supportive measures are also available to students who have reported incidents of sexual misconduct, even if they have not filed a formal complaint.
    5. The University will not publicly disclose the identity of the reporting party and the responding party, except as necessary to carry out a disciplinary process or as permitted under state or federal law.
  2. Procedures
    1. The University’s investigatory and disciplinary proceedings do not serve as a substitute for the criminal justice process.
    2. The University will investigate formal complaints of sexual misconduct, by interviewing reporting and responding parties and witnesses, and, as available, obtaining supplemental evidence.
    3. The University will prepare a report of its investigation and make it available to the parties to the case. This process is further described in the Student Code of Conduct.
    4. The University will adjudicate charges of sexual misconduct against students through the Community Standards office. Adjudication will include formal notice, adjudication by trained hearing officers and the right for the parties to have an advisor or support person present. This process is further described in the Student Code of Conduct.
    5. The Civil Rights & Equity Office will use a similar process to adjudicate charges of sexual misconduct against faculty and staff.
    6. A student found responsible for sexual misconduct faces sanctions that range from probation and educational interventions to eviction from University housing, suspension, or expulsion. A faculty member or staff found responsible for sexual misconduct faces sanctions that range from warning to dismissal.

Healthcare and Support Resources

For questions and concerns regarding sexual misconduct and/or the Title IX process, or for help coordinating support services related to academic, housing or other needs related to living, working or participating in University programs:

Title IX Coordinator
105 Main Street
Thompson Hall 305
Durham, NH 03824
(603) 862-2930

Those who have experienced sexual misconduct have the option to seek treatment for injuries, preventative treatment for sexually transmitted diseases, and other health services. A medical exam is also an important way for a health provider to properly collect and preserve evidence, which could later be used in a civil or criminal case. In cases where necessary, rape kits are also available at local emergency rooms.

Medical treatment in the area of the Durham campus includes the following:

Wentworth-Douglas Hospital
789 Central Avenue, Dover, NH 03820
(603) 742-5252

Medical treatment in the area of the Manchester campus includes the following:

Elliot Hospital
4 Elliot Way, Manchester, NH 03013
(603) 669-5300

Catholic Medical Center
100 McGregor St, Manchester, NH 03102
(603) 668-3545

Medical treatment in the area of the UNH Law Concord campus includes the following:

Concord Hospital
250 Pleasant Street
Concord, NH 03301
(603) 225-2711

Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence Resources

Resource Phone Number
New Hampshire Sexual Assault Hotline 1-800-277-5570
New Hampshire Domestic Violence Hotline 1-866-644-3574

Services for survivors of sexual assault, domestic violence, stalking, and sexual arassment are available through the NH Coalition Against Domestic and Sexual Violence, which is comprised of thirteen member programs throughout the state. A community member does not need to be in crisis to call. Services are free, confidential, and available to everyone regardless of gender, age, health status (including HIV-positive), physical, mental or emotional ability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, socio-economic status, race, national origin, immigration status or religious or political affiliation.

Coalition member agencies serving the Durham campus area include:

Sexual Harassment and Rape Prevention Program (SHARPP)
2 Pettee Brook Lane, Durham, NH 03824
(603) 862-3494

20 International Drive #300, Portsmouth, NH 03801
(603) 436-4107

Coalition member agencies serving the Manchester campus area include:

YWCA Crisis Service
72 Concord Street, Manchester, NH 03101
Crisis Line: 603-668-2299
Manchester Office: 603-625-5785

Coalition member agencies serving the UNH Law Concord campus area include:

Crisis Center of Central New Hampshire
79 State Street, Concord, NH 03301
(603) 225-7376

Coalition agencies provide the following services:

  • Support and information, available in person and through a 24-hour hotline
  • Accompaniment, support, and advocacy at local hospitals, courts, and police departments
  • Access to emergency shelter
  • Peer Support Groups
  • Assistance with protective/restraining orders and referrals to legal services
  • Information and referrals to community programs
  • Community and professional outreach and education.

Financial Assistance Resources

Students who require assistance but have financial hardship or limited financial resources may qualify for a one time grant of up to $500 through the UNH Student Emergency Financial Assistance Fund. This fund provides UNH students who are unable to meet essential expenses due to a temporary or unexpected hardship with short-term financial assistance. Funds can be applied for through the Dean of Student’s Office to meet the following needs:

  • Emergency travel expenses
  • Prescription and other costs related to medical, dental, or mental health
  • Essential utilities
  • Essential safety and security needs
  • Academic supplies and textbooks
  • Winter clothing needs like coats and boots
  • Auto repairs
  • Parking fee
  • Replacing essential belongings due to fire, theft, or natural disaster
  • Individually-recommended or required services that are considered critical to a student’s success, for example, diagnostic testing for Accessibility Resources.

On-Campus Resources

Medical services are available on-campus through UNH Health and Wellness Services. UNH Health and Wellness is an integrated health and wellness service provides medical care, wellness education, and health promotion serving all students, faculty and staff.

UNH Health and Wellness
4 Pettee Brook Lane
Durham, NH 03824
(603) 862-9355

Mental health services in the area of the Durham campus includes the following:

UNH Psychological and Counseling Services (PACS)
Smith Hall, Third Floor
3 Garrison Avenue
Durham, NH 03824
(603) 862-2090
Emergency counseling services are available 24 hours a day

Mental health services in the area of the Manchester campus includes the following:

The Mental Health Center of Greater Manchester (MHCGM)
(603) 668-4111
Reach out via email at

Mental health services in the area of the UNH Law Concord campus includes the following:

Riverbend Community Mental Health
105 Loudon Road, Bldg 4
Concord, NH 03301
(603) 228-1600
Call or text psychiatric emergency services 24 hours a day: (833) 710-6477
Counselor on-campus once a week and can see students off-campus.

Resources for Employees

Qualifying university employees have access to the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) offered through Kepro, which provides assessment and referral for a wide range of concerns facing employees. To speak with a consultant please call 1-800-424-1749 or visit for more information.