Mentoring Teachers (Graduate Certificate)
The Teacher Education Program works with approximately 150 “cooperating teachers” and more than 25 supervisors each year in its full-year internship program. Mentoring is a crucial element in the preparation of effective teachers, as well as in the transition from teacher preparation programs to the first years of teaching. The N.H. Department of Education has also recognized the need for mentoring early-career public school teachers in its “Induction Through Mentoring Projects.” The UNH Department of Education proposes to offer a graduate certificate program in mentoring teachers to help advance the preparation of professionals in the field. For more information please visit the Mentoring Teachers website .
This certificate is designed to serve:
- Experience teachers interested in the mentoring and the professional development of new teachers.
- Experience teachers interested in preparing for leadership positions that require mentoring skills.
- Experience teachers interested in exploring a graduate program in education by first earning a graduate certificate.
Please visit the Graduate School website for detailed instructions about applying to the certificate program.
The program of study required for the certificate consists of four required courses and a total of 16 credit hours. The program focuses on the development of mentoring skills that draw upon:
- models of adult development;
- approaches to effective teaching;
- an understanding of teacher supervision and assessment; and
- strategies for problem solving, conflict resolution, and communication.
|EDUC 957||Collaborative Models of Teaching, Learning, and Leading||4|
|or EDUC 965||Educational Supervision and Evaluation|
|EDUC 958||Analysis of Teaching and Learning||4|
|EDUC 990||Developmental Perspectives on Adulthood||4|
|EDUC 897||Special Topics in Education (note: course number will change in 05-06) 1||4|
Under special circumstances and with the approval of their adviser, students may substitute an elective for EDUC 897 Special Topics in Education.