Health Services

This is an archived copy of the 2018-2019 catalog. To access the most recent version of the catalog, please visit

The University has a nationally accredited ( health and wellness program.

Health and Counseling Fee

All UNH students who take five or more credit hours/semester are required to pay the UNH health and counseling fees. These fees allow students to access services at Health & Wellness and/or Psychological and Counseling Services on campus, and cover many services at no or reduced cost. When combined with a student's health insurance coverage, the health and counseling fees provide for a complete health care package. A student's health insurance is never billed for services covered by the UNH health and counseling fee.

Health Insurance

UNH requires health insurance as a condition of enrollment for full-time degree students at its Durham, Manchester, and Concord campuses. Students who already have health insurance are able to waive coverage under the University-sponsored plan, if their insurance plan meets or exceeds the established UNH waiver criteria, by completing a waiver prior to the deadline. International students with F-1 and J-1 visas are required to purchase the UNH Student Health Benefits Plan.

Health Record Requirement

Undergraduate students who have been formally accepted for bachelor's or associate's degree candidacy are required to have health information on file with UNH Health & Wellness. The three requirements are:

  1. a physical assessment,
  2. immunization form, and
  3. a health history form

to be completed and submitted by the student online. This information is listed on the Health & Wellness website at

Documentation of proof of immunity to MMR (measles, mumps, and rubella) is required (UNH Academic Policy 02.14) and is typically shown on the immunization form. Students must meet one of the following criteria for proof of immunity: received two vaccinations at least one month apart after 12 months of age; a titer (blood) test demonstrating immunity to measles, mumps, and rubella; health provider documentation of past history of measles, mumps, and rubella; or born before 1957. Students requesting a religious exemption from measles vaccinations must complete the UNH Health & Wellness Request for Exemption and submit appropriate documentation. Students from countries where TB is endemic are required to either provide documentation of being tested within six months prior to enrollment, or provide documentation of treatment for either latent or active TB, or a negative chest radiograph if the test is positive. It is the responsibility of students to provide the documentation before attending any classes. Any student failing to complete these requirements may be prevented from registering for future classes.

Medical Services

UNH Health & Wellness provides comprehensive, student-focused, primary medical care through a team approach. The clinical staff consists of board-certified physicians, nurse practitioners, physician assistant, nurses, and medical assistants who are committed to prevention and holistic care. Primary medical care is provided for a large variety of common concerns. Examples include respiratory illnesses such as asthma, all kinds of infections, injuries, dermatologic issues, digestive disorders, and mental health. Sexual reproductive health services include annual examinations, family planning/contraceptive services, cervical cancer (Pap smears) screening/prevention, testing and treatment for sexually transmitted infections, pregnancy testing and counseling, limited sexual assault services, and more. Health resource nurses provide chronic illness support, and assist wit problems arising from hospitalization, and health leaves and return to campus. Other services include allergy/immunization services and travel health consultation. Students may speak by telephone with a health resource nurse for advice at any time, including when UNH Health & Wellness is closed. Clinical support services include laboratory, radiology, and pharmacy. Not all services are available during the summer or breaks. For more information, visit

Well-staffed and well-equipped community hospitals are nearby, and emergency ambulance service is available in Durham at all times.

Health Leaves

All undergraduate students seeking assistance with health-related (physical or mental) leaves of absence from the University, or those who will be out for extended periods of time due to health issues, should be in touch with the executive director of UNH Health & Wellness at (603) 862-1098. Health-related leave information is also available on the web at

Living Well Services

Living Well Services coordinates health promotion activities on campus. Services provided include educational programs/workshops, individual and group support to promote healthy lifestyle choices, alcohol and other drug counseling, tobacco cessation services,nutritional counseling, wellness coaching (ex. stress, sleep, behavior change, etc.), biofeedback, light therapy, massage therapy and a resource library. For more information, visit the UNH Health & Wellness website at