Campus Life, Programs and Services for Students

This is an archived copy of the 2018-2019 catalog. To access the most recent version of the catalog, please visit

The University offers programs and services to help every student get the most out of their college experience.

Advising Services

Every UNH student is assigned an academic advisor, who provides help in choosing courses and planning a program of study. Each college within the University also has an advising office. Other sources of help, for academic or personal problems, are described below.

Career and Professional Success (CaPS)

With an uncommon commitment to personal and professional development, Career and Professional Success (CaPS) empowers all UNH students to proactively build the knowledge and skills they need to adapt and succeed in an ever-changing future. We are coaches, connectors, and champions for students and alumni in the Wildcat community. In partnership with faculty, staff, employers, and our global alumni network, we orchestrate opportunities for students to build personal and career awareness, build a personal brand, build professional experiences, and build professional relationships, equipping all with the tools to thrive throughout their lives.

For more information about programs, services and opportunities, call (603) 862-2070, visit, or follow UNH Career and Professional Success on all major social media platforms.


Career and Professional Success supports students in locating pre-professional internships in settings ranging from traditional business and research facilities, to more uniquely tailored environments that reflect academic and career interests. Students who wish to engage in career-oriented work experiences for university credit should consult with an appropriate faculty sponsor in their department regarding established programs and the possibility of receiving academic credit. Many academic departments list internship opportunities and programs on the department website.

Additional paid and unpaid internship postings can be found through UNH’s job and internship board, Handshake, at

For more information on internships at UNH, call (603) 862-2070 and/or visit

Center for Academic Resources (CFAR)

The Center for Academic Resources (CFAR) offers a comprehensive range of academic-related services to undergraduate students. Students work on an individual basis or in small group seminars to improve their academic performance and enhance their educational experience. CFAR offers individualized academic peer mentoring in learning strategies such as time management, test-taking, organization, note-taking, and reading; course information; clarification of academic goals; personal advising; and referrals.

As part of the University’s commitment to improving access and student success, CFAR hosts a national TRIO/Student Support Services (SSS) program, partially funded by the US Department of Education*. Student Support Services is for students whose parents do not have a college education, students with a high financial need, and students with disabilities.  intended for students whose parents do not have a college education, students with a high financial need, and students with disabilities.

For more information call (603) 862-3698, e-mail or visit

*UNH TRIO SSS is funded by the US Department of Education and the University of New Hampshire. In 2017-18 federal funding totals $336,998. The University of New Hampshire contributes an additional $85,673.22 in matching funds. The project is funded to serve 200 students in 2017-18.

Honor Societies

The University of New Hampshire has a long and strong/valued tradition of recognizing outstanding student academic achievement through election to a variety of honor societies.  Some of these national societies recognize performance in any academic field while others are limited to specific disciplines.

Honor societies are most prevalent in colleges and universities.  Based on varying criteria of high academic achievement and leadership, students are invited to join most commonly in their junior or senior year.  Although initiated into the campus chapter, students become members of the national society for life. For more information visit

Discipline Society Name and Sash/Stole/Cord Color UNH Contact


Chi Alpha Sigma, Black and Gold Cord, Joanne Maldari,


Kappa Kappa Psi, Blue and White Cord, Casey Goodwin,

Biological Sciences

Phi Sigma, Yellow, Green and White Cord, Estelle Hrabak,


Beta Gamma Sigma, Gold and Blue Cord, Ashlyn True,


Golden Key, Blue and Gold Sash, Marianne Fortescue and Sylvia Foster,


Eta Sigma Phi, Gold and Purple Cord, Dr. Richard Clairmont and Dr. R. Scott Smith,,


Lambda Pi Eta, Red, White and Gold Cord, Dr. Nora Draper,

Computer Science

Upsilon Pi Epsilon, Maroon and White Cord Dr. Radim Bartos,


Omicron Delta Epsilon, Gold and Blue Cord Dr. Marc Herold,


Tau Beta Pi, Orange and White Cord Dr. Michael Carter,, Dr. Erin Bell,, Dr. Barry Fussell,


UNH Society of Women Engineers, Green and Yellow Stole, Dr. May-Win Thein,


Sigma Tau Delta, Cardinal and Black Cord, Carla Cannizzaro,


Order of Omega, Gold and Ivory, MaryAnne Lustgraaf,

Health Pre-Profession

Alpha Epsilon Delta, Purple and Red Cord, Dr. Mary K. Lockwood,


Phi Alpha Theta, Red and Blue Cord, Dr. Cathy Frierson,

Hospitality and Tourism

Eta Sigma Delta, Yellow, Dr. Dan Innis,

Justice Studies

Alpha Phi Sigma, Blue and Gold, Dr. Ellen Cohn,

Liberal Arts

Phi Beta Kappa, Pink and Blue Cord, Dr. Susan Siggelakis,


Pi Mu Epsilon, Gold, Purple and Lilac Cord, Ellen O'Keefe,

Natural Resources

Xi Sigma Pi, Green and White Cord, Dr. Mark Ducey,


Sigma Theta Tau, Orchid and White, Dr. Joyce Cappiello,

Political Science

Pi Sigma Alpha, Red, White and Black Cord, Dr. Susan Siggelakis,


Psi Chi, Platinum and Dark Blue, Dr. Carolyn Mebert,

Social Work

Phi Alpha, Gold Cord, Gretchen Bean,


Alpha Kappa Delta, Teal Cord, Dr. Thomas Safford,

International Students and Scholars

The Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) provides services to international students, faculty, staff and exchange scholars covering a broad spectrum, which begin before the international visitor arrives on campus and often continue past the completion of their program. These include: Preparation of eligibility documents for visa issuance along with pre-arrival instructions and information; Preparation of applications to U.S. immigration offices to secure appropriate work authorization for international faculty and staff; In-depth orientation programs for new students and scholars, covering a variety of issues such as immigration rights and responsibilities, adjusting to life in another culture, working in the U.S., adapting to the U.S. educational system, area attractions and services and much more; A variety of workshops and seminars such as immigration and employment workshops and career orientation seminars.

All international students are encouraged to maintain contact with the OISS and are required by law to report changes of address, academic program, or source of educational funds.

OISS also serves as a liaison between international students, faculty and staff and various other UNH offices and departments. For more information visit or call (603) 862-1288.

Military & Veteran Services

The mission of Military and Veteran Services is to provide the highest quality service and support to Student Veterans, National Guard and Reserve members and their families who may attend UNH as their dependents, as outlined in the Principles of Excellence and The Eight Keys of Success to insure attainment/achievement of their goals at UNH.

Military and Veteran Services (MVS) is the primary support (benefit, academic, personal or social) office for any military connected student. We are also the first line resource within the university community for information about educational benefits offered to support all military connected students. 
We also play a central role on campus in educating and raising awareness within the university community and beyond with all issues related to the success of each of the military connected students at UNH.

We subscribe to and follow PL 113-146 Section 702, The Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability ACT of 2014.  A summary of this act can be found here

Veterans will have priority registration beginning in the Fall of 2018. This means that Veteran students register during the initial registration period of their class.

For more information call (603) 862-0643, visit, or email

Psychological and Counseling Services

Psychological and Counseling Services (PACS) is the primary mental health facility on campus. We are fully funded by student fees. Our confidential services are designed to help students who are enrolled in full-time study to achieve their personal and academic goals. PACS utilizes a brief, solution-focused counseling model, which may include individual and group therapy, workshops, consultation with a psychiatrist, or counseling during a crisis. Students needing longer term service are offered referrals to other university and community agencies.

We also aim to serve the community while being part of the community. As community members with specialized training in working with the university population, we are knowledgeable about the special needs of students, faculty, staff.  A large part of our community work focuses on prevention; we believe that increased awareness of healthy ways to cope with stress can help the UNH community and its individual members achieve their professional and personal goals.

All information about a student's visits to PACS is confidential and cannot be released without the written permission of the student. The University of New Hampshire Psychological and Counseling Services has been accredited by the International Association of Counseling Services since 1978.

For more information, call (603) 862-2090 or visit

Student Accessibility Services

Student Accessibility Services (SAS) is committed to establishing a community that ensures full participation for students, and providing assistance that will facilitate independence and academic progress. The office is responsible for determining and ensuring academic and housing accommodations. In addition, we are a source of information and referral; a resource and collaborative partner for the campus community; and a point of support and advocacy regarding access issues in general.

Self-identifying with SAS is the first step in both gathering useful information—what SAS offers and what other resources exist—and establishing accommodations. You will need to provide documentation, make an appointment to review/discuss it, and identify appropriate accommodations. Creating a faculty accommodation letter is part of that process. Please see the Documentation Guidelines for direction on what to provide. If you are unsure, submit/bring whatever you may have so we can review and evaluate it.

There is no deadline to make contact, complete an intake, or provide documentation. The process of identifying and determining accommodations is an ongoing conversation. Students should provide additional documentation and/or talk with SAS as concerns and needs arise, or as the condition of the disability changes.

For more information call (603) 862-2607 (voice), 711 (TTY) or 800-735-2964 (Relay NH); (603) 862-4043 (fax); e-mail; or visit Student Accessibility Services is located in Smith Hall, Room 201.

General Information for Students with Disabilities

Students seeking academic accommodations, services, and accessibility should contact Student Accessibility Services (SAS): voice (603) 862-2607; TTY Users: 7-1-1 or 800-735-2964 (Relay NH);;

Most major buildings have ramps and many have elevators and adapted restroom facilities. Contact SAS, (603) 862-2607, or Affirmative Action, (603) 862-2930, with questions about building facilities.

Students with disabilities may use state-issued accessible parking permits in visitor lots and at metered parking (free). State permits are available through a student's home state (Department of Motor Vehicles [DMV]). Please note: on-campus parking in restricted lots ("permit required") requires BOTH the state-issued accessible permit and a UNH campus permit. Questions about temporary accessible parking should be directed to Parking Services at (603) 862-1010.

For information about dietary restrictions and needs as an accommodation, visit

Students with disabilities who need accessible UNH housing should contact SAS early to allow for identification of appropriate accommodation(s) and notification from SAS to Housing. Wildcat Access Van is a demand-response system that operates within the service area of the Wildcat Transit routes. All of the fixed route buses are lift-equipped. For information on this service or for the special arrangements possible during periods of inclement weather, contact SAS, (603) 862-2607.

All B.A. candidates must fulfill the University's foreign language requirement by the end of their sophomore year. A student with a documented disability may petition the foreign language board for course substitutions on the basis of that disability. Contact SAS to learn about the process.

No otherwise qualified individual may be excluded from or denied access to any program, course of study, or any other offering of the University solely on the basis of a disability. Concerns regarding the institution's compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Amendments Act (ADAA) of 2008, or Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 should be addressed to the ADA/504 Compliance Officer in the Affirmative Action Office at (603) 862-2930 (Voice/TTY).

University Advising Center

The University Advising Center provides academic advising to undeclared students in the College of Liberal Arts. The center's professional staff provides assistance to students in clarifying their interests and skills as they relate to developing a program of study at the University and declaring a major, offering opportunities to explore career possibilities.

The center is also the campus resource for all students seeking admission to medical and related health profession schools and law school. The center is the primary academic advising resource for non-degree students and assists all students in identifying and connecting with other resources across campus.

For more information call (603) 862-2064 or visit

University Writing Programs

The University Writing Programs (UWPs) were created to promote, support and assess writing at the University of New Hampshire. The UWPs are housed in Academic Affairs and report to the Senior Vice Provost for Academic Affairs. The UWPs are contained in a single unit that includes responsibility for the Writing Committee, Writing Across the Curriculum  (WAC), the Connors Writing Center (CWC), and the Online Writing Lab (OWL). The curricular component of WAC, consisting of the writing-intensive (WI) courses, is situated within academic departments.

We work with academic units, departments, allied programs, individual faculty, and students to advance the culture of writing at UNH.  This approach values and encourages writing as an "activity and subject of study,"1  not only in writing intensive (WI) classes but wherever writing occurs.  Through frequent guided practice, UNH students become accustomed to negotiating the writing process, are more self aware and able to transfer positive writing habits, and can adjust to differing genre conventions. We offer a wide array of services and resources to support students and faculty with their writing-based endeavors in the curriculum.

For more information call (603) 862-3272 or visit

Connors Writing Center

The Connors Writing Center offers free, one-on-one writing conferences to members of the UNH community: students, faculty and staff.  We work with writers from all disciplines on many different kinds of academic writing. Our 50 minute conferences are conducted by trained writing assistants, who are UNH undergraduate and graduate students.

We work with writers on all types of writing, from analysis essays to lab reports, conference proposals to dissertations. Our conferences are not limited to one specific type of writing or a single academic field—we collaborate with writers from across the university on a large range of academic writing.

Typically, the writers who visit are working on projects for courses. But we also see writers who are working on personal projects, statements of purpose and personal statements for graduate school, and so on.

For more information about resources and services available call (603) 862-3272 or visit